I s there something out there that keeps calling you? Is it a dream, a vision that seems so juicy and tantalizing! It might be a big dream such as travelling the world or it might be smaller such as a cup of tea, a bubble bath, and a great book! The calling just might take you out of your comfort zone or not fit neatly into the schedule you have worked hard to create. The calling always seems easier to put on the back burner compared to the glaring to-do list that keeps growing heavier and heavier as the hours pass. That small and gentle persistent voice bubbles up at just the right moments to allow for a choice. We can either go down the road we are familiar with- habitual and safe OR we can throw off the heavy load and run for the hills of our wildest dreams and desires!
Regardless of how “big” or “small” your dream is, it will keep nudging you potentially becoming disheartening when time after time push it away. For some there is even the notion that our dream is “silly”, “selfish” or “would hurt/take away from someone else.” How many times have you desired to do something only to stop yourself because you are an adult now, dinner needs to be on the table, the house needs to be cleaned, and bills must be paid.
How often have you told yourself (or everyone else around) there is just not enough time?! In choosing to embrace life and all of it’s ups and downs, I have embarked on a path of following my God-given calling by listening to the stirrings of my heart. It is freeing! And let me also share, it is an ever- evolving process! For myself, it consists of learning, discovering and sharing concepts of wellness, yoga and pelvic health for personal transformation and it has developed by spending the last 12+ years in various educational programs and my own personal journey.
By honoring my needs and learning from several wonderful individuals along the way, here is a short list of ways to enhance your life:
- 5 minutes is all you need to empower changes in your life, NOW: Putting yourself first does not need to be a marathon event! In fact, for most people that is just unreasonable given our responsibilities. Instead, by putting aside the to-do list madness for 5 minutes and choosing to do something for yourself (call a friend, start an art project, write a letter, gaze at the stars, schedule that massage, look up requirements to get your degree…) you are charting a WHOLE NEW course for yourself! How? By claiming your place in the day and doing something loving for yourself, you are sending a clear message that will set the stage for inviting more health, peace of mind and clarity to your daily routine. You will be more efficient and energized throughout the rest of your day. I thought it was a joke, but seriously- try it, and be amazed.
- Because when you do not honor yourself, no one else will either: Do you ever find yourself getting frustrated that everyone else seems to get what they need but you don’t? Your husband finds time to exercise, children have built in time to take a nap and play, your friends have time to go out for dinner and even the dog is making sure he gets his regular walk and a cozy nap. But not you, nope. Ya got too much to do. Well, unfortunately when we put ourselves last, that is exactly what other people will help you do. Recall the phrase “give someone an inch and they will take a mile.” We must stop engaging in the same old habits and expecting to get a different result. People around you are making a choice. They are choosing to put themselves first for a bit, and if you do that too- if you begin to respect yourself (your mind, body and spirit) then others will naturally support you, the same way you support the ones you love in choosing a healthy lifestyle. You wouldn’t teach your child to hide their needs and stop loving themselves, so don’t show them that you hide your own needs. Instead model to them what doors will open when you love yourself.
- You are only an effective caregiver, if you are healthy: Health: “The state of being free from illness or injury”. Are you strong, capable, relaxed, confident and NOT sick? Studies show that stress can lead to illness, even the common cold. If you are stressed because you have been taking care of your job, your family, your friends, the neighbor down the street and countless engagements you are teetering on the verge of risking your precious health. Are you gaining or losing weight, not sleeping well and feeling exhausted? Chances are your caregiving is not as effective as it can be. Want to help your family, your job, your friends and your volunteer efforts? Choose to put yourself first, even for a short bout of time and you will be brighter, clearing and more kind to everyone.
- When you accept living joyously, others around you are empowered as well: Every great helper and caregiver is extraordinarily encouraging and supportive to others. “You are so amazing at what you do! You can do it, I know you can and I will be there all the way to support you!”. What you might not have considered is that when you encourage someone and then do the opposite in your own life, you are NOT helping anyone else. We are all mirrors for each other, so if you are modeling behaviors that are opposing the encouragement you just gave to someone, then they FEEL that. They will not be able to follow through on their own dreams, because YOU are a mirror to them. The inspiring support can only turn into inspired action if you act as well! Choose to embrace living a joyous and fulfilling life and you will mirror to others the same thing. Suddenly you will see that those you encourage are able to soar to great heights! And to a caregiver type, that is a sweet reward.
- You will have more time, more strength, and sleep better with more energy TODAY: How can we expect to have more time, strength, energy and sleep if we are adding something to the day?! What we put our energy towards, we get in return. When you love yourself and honor your desires, more love comes back to you! If the small and persistent voice in your head keeps nudging you, but you have ignored it, it is a heavy weight. When you take small, manageable steps toward loving yourself and putting yourself first, the weight lifts, your energy increases, and you will feel strong and capable again. Your health will be renewed and every aspect of your life will FLOURISH!
We all have a choice to live a life of habit, of excess weight, of worry and questioning OR to live a life where dreams can come alive in ways that don’t crack the core of what you worked so hard to create. Instead, the effort will enhance and polish ALL that you have created. With gratitude and love, Sara